• Petroleum production

    In New South Wales, a title must be granted by the Minister for Resources & Energy under the Petroleum (Onshore) Act 1991 before anyone can produce petroleum (including coal seam gas), whether on Crown or private land. Before a petroleum production lease can be granted, development consent must be obtained under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.

    Go to Petroleum production

  • Petroleum exploration

    Companies or individuals wishing to explore for petroleum (including coal seam gas) in NSW must first apply to the Minister for Resources & Energy for a title under the Petroleum (Onshore) Act 1991 before undertaking any exploration activities.

    Go to Petroleum exploration