Mutual recognition within Australia and New Zealand

Notification for registration in New South Wales as a holder of a statutory certificate of competence under the provisions of the Mutual Recognition (NSW) Act 1992 for Australian states or territories, or the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition (NSW) Act 1996 for New Zealand.

If you are granted mutual recognition in New South Wales you will be issued a practising certificate for five years (or a shorter period if determined by the regulator). Your practising certificate will be subject to a condition requiring you to participate in the maintenance of competence scheme.

Recognition of overseas qualifications


  1. If not already obtained, apply to an Australian University or Engineers Australia for assessment of the qualification and whether it is equivalent to the required Australian degree or qualification (refer to appendix A of the guide). Visit and click on 'Migrating to Australia', then 'Apply for a migration skills assessment' and follow the step-by-step guide.
  2. Provide certified copies of the assessment documentation with the examination application to the NSW Resources Regulator. The documentation provided with your application should also include course outlines/transcripts for all courses studied in the qualification for which recognition was granted.
  3. If the original document is not in English, you must provide a certified copy of the written translation (by an authorised translation service, such as an appropriate embassy or a professional translation service accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters Ltd).

The NSW Resources Regulator will consider the equivalence and recognition of the qualification as part of the application process.

For further information, contact us toll-free on 1300 736 122.