Briefing sessions are conducted by examination panel members for each certificate of competence to inform applicants of how to apply and prepare themselves for the written and oral examinations.
Briefing sessions are free and optional, but are highly recommended as applicants have the opportunity to find out information from the examiners on the exams.
They are generally held between one and three months before the closing date for an examination to allow time for candidates to prepare their applications for submission. Refer to the exam calendar for briefing sessions dates that align with specific statutory function position competencies.
View the Exam calendar for upcoming briefing session dates
Register your interest for a briefing session
You must register your interest in attending a session at least one month prior to the briefing date so we can confirm we have sufficient numbers and venue. Please register by accessing our online facility.
Note: Briefing sessions will be held face-to-face at selected venue and will no longer be recorded. You must still register and attend the briefing session to obtain the relevant information.
Recorded briefing sessions
Links to recordings of briefing sessions are below and will be updated as new ones are held:
- Undermanager of underground coal mines - 11 Jan 2023
- Mining engineering manager underground non coal - 7 Dec 2022
- Electrical engineer and electrical engineering manager - 20 June 2022
- Quarry manager - 9 June 2022
- Deputy, underground coal mine - 5 February 2021
- Mechanical engineering manager of underground coal mines and mechanical engineer of coal mines other than underground coal mines - 18 March 2021
- Electrical engineering manager of underground coal mines and electrical engineer of coal mines other than underground coal mines - 31 March 2021
- Quarry manager - 12 May 2021
- Certificates of competence: using the online portal - 23 June 2021
- Maintenance of competence for practising certificates - 7 July 2021
- Mining engineering manager of underground coal mines - 18 August 2021