Skip to main content

A NSW Government website

Safety complaints

Before raising a work health or safety issue with us, constructive steps should be taken to have a safety issue resolved in the workplace.

First steps

These steps may include:

  • reporting the issue verbally to your supervisor or manager
  • reporting the issue through the workplace's hazard reporting procedures
  • raising the issue with the health and safety representative. Workers at coal mines may also raise the issue with a safety and health representative.
  • raising the issue with management through your union representative

Getting assistance

If none of these courses of action is appropriate or successful, you can contact us for assistance on 1300 814 609 option 2 then option 4 or by email to

In order to action your complaint, we will need information that allows us to:

  • identify the mine or petroleum site where the work health and safety issue or issues have occurred or are occurring
  • identify the exact nature of the work health and safety issues or concerns (for example, working at heights or plant safety risks)
  • identify the name and address of the organisation or individual in control of the workplace

Any other information that will assist us to respond appropriately to the work health and safety concern is also appreciated.

Inspectors will not reveal the source of the request to the workplace parties involved unless you consent. If you choose to remain anonymous when speaking to us, it is not possible for an inspector to seek further information from you or provide feedback.

Complaints about bullying

If you believe you have been bullied at work, you should read the information on our bullying pages. The pages include information on how to make a complaint about workplace bullying.