NSW Mine Safety mine subsidence management aims to produce outcomes that are consistent with the community and government expectations for responsible mining, optimal resource recovery and effective land use and surface environmental management.
Work undertaken by the group includes:
- Assessment of mining applications and Environmental Impact Statements (EISs) for pillar extraction or longwall mining.
- Applying conditions to mining licences to:
- manage potential subsidence impacts on a wide range of natural and man-made features involved in these applications.
- monitor the development of surface subsidence due to the proposed mining operations
- gather information as part of management of subsidence in areas involving sensitive or important surface features.
- Conducting coal mines site inspections as part of mining approval assessments, risk management or investigations or community and government concerns.
- Undertaking specific risk management projects to recover resources without adverse impacts on critical infrastructure.