WHS (Mines and Petroleum Sites) Amendment Regulation 2019
The Work Health and Safety (Mines and Petroleum Sites) Amendment Regulation 2019 (the Amendment Regulation) is made under the Work Health and Safety (Mines and Petroleum Sites) Act 2013 (the Act), which regulates work health and safety at mines and petroleum sites in New South Wales.
The Amendment Regulation will amend the WHS (Mines and Petroleum Sites) Regulation 2014 to address work health and safety issues, reduce regulatory burden and ensure the policy intent of the legislation is achieved.
The amendments to the regulation commenced on 1 February 2020.
Consultation on the amendments was undertaken in October 2019 with key stakeholder groups representing the mining and petroleum industries.
Key issues addressed by the amendment Regulation include, but are not limited to, the following:
- introducing a high risk activity notification for the establishment, operation, alteration or decommissioning of a tailings storage facility at a metalliferous mine (excluding opal mines), with appropriate transition provisions.
- imposing a workplace exposure standard of 0.1 milligram per cubic metre of air for diesel particulate matter with a 12-month transition period provided.
- including fires on mobile plants and spontaneous combustion occurring at the surface of a coal mine as high potential incidents required to be notified to the Regulator, and
- expanding the offences for which penalty notices can be issued.
Fact sheets about the amendments
We have developed the following factsheets about the amendments:
- Amendments to Work Health and Safety (Mines and Petroleum Sites) notifications to the Regulator (PDF, 175.09 KB)
- Summary of amendments - Amendments to the Work Health and Safety (Mines and Petroleum Sites) Regulation 2014 (PDF, 219.33 KB)
- Tailings storage facilities – Amendments to the Work Health and Safety (Mines and Petroleum Sites) Regulation (PDF, 260.74 KB)
A copy of the Amendment Regulation can be found on the NSW Legislation web site.
For more information about the amendments, contact us at: