Mine rehabilitation

Rehabilitation as defined by the Mining Act means the treatment or management of disturbed land or water for the purpose of establishing a safe and stable environment. This relates to both exploration and mining projects where the land is restored to a sustainable and productive useful purpose.

The scope of rehabilitation activities covers a broad range of components that need to be addressed to establish a safe and stable environment following the closure of a mining operation. The scope of rehabilitation activities includes but is not necessarily limited to demolition of surface infrastructure; remediation of contaminated land; capping of tailings dams; final landform establishment; geotechnical stabilisation; sealing of mine entries and boreholes; removal of ore pads; amelioration of soils for revegetation and revegetation works.

Rehabilitation is effectively another phase of mining, which is undertaken both progressively over the life of the mine as well as at cessation of mining (i.e. total life cycle of a mine).

Mining affected land can be rehabilitated to a variety of land uses including cropping and agriculture, native ecosystems, forestry, industry, heritage sites, residential developments and mixed land uses.

Read more in the Exploration and mining rehabilitation fact sheet [PDF, 228.51 KB]