Skip to main content

A NSW Government website

Apply for a practising certificate

Learn how to apply and how we determine whether you are competent to be issued with a certificate.

Regulator Portal - Mining Worker's section now live

We have introduced a Mining Worker's section to the Resources Regulator portal to enable workers to apply for examinations, certificates of competence and practising certificates online.

A help guide for navigating the portal is available here (PDF, 758.08 KB).

Assistance is also available by phoning the Mining Competencies and Authorisations team on (02) 4063 6461 or emailing

Application process

To apply for a practising certificate complete and submit an application form via the Resources Regulator portal (Mining Worker's portal).

The Practising certificate fact sheet (PDF, 173.65 KB) provides an overview of the new system of practising certificates and eligibility requirements.

To apply for a renewal of a practising certificate complete and submit an application via the Resources Regulator portal.

Before applying for a practising certificate complete it is recommended to read the relevant guidance material before submitting your application so it is complete and avoid unnecessary delays in our processing of it.

Quarry manager practising certificate

Tier-2 quarries

To apply for a Tier-2 Quarry manager practising certificate you must complete and submit the supporting information application form below below as part of your online application via the Resources Regulator portal:

The Guide to the quarry manager practising certificate for Tier-2 with conditions (PDF, 451.89 KB), provides information on eligibility, how to apply and how we determine whether you are competent to be issued with a certificate.

Three-tiered approach for quarries

The Resources Regulator is implementing a three-tiered approach to what is required for a person to apply and be granted a Quarry Manager practising certificate.

View the Fact sheet: Quarry Managers Practising Certificates three-tier approach to understand what tier may apply at the quarries at which you want to exercise the statutory function. The tier of the quarry will determine how you apply for a practising certificate:

Tier 1

Requirement: Quarry Manager certificate of competence

Application process status: Ongoing

Further information:  Applying for a practising certificate (refer to portal) or Guide to exams (to obtain a competence certificate)

Tier 2 — all quarries

Requirement: Experience and qualifications

Application process status: Ongoing

Further information

Tier 2 — specific quarries

Requirement: Experience and examinations

Application process status: Transitional until 30 September 2022

Further information:

Tier 3

Requirement: Mine operator can be exempt from nominating a person with a Quarry Manager practising certificate.

Application process status: Not required

Further informationFact sheet: Quarry Managers Practising certificates three-tier approach (PDF, 279.47 KB)

To find out what tier may apply at the quarries you want to practise at, refer to the mine operator who is to nominate you. The mine operator may know the quarry(s) tier level by using the information available on the Practicing certificate requirements for Quarry Managers page and the Fact sheet: Quarry Managers Practising certificates three-tier approach (PDF, 279.47 KB).

Recognition of interstate or New Zealand certificates for WHS statutory functions

Applying for recognition of an interstate or New Zealand certificate to obtain a practising certificate to carry out the equivalent occupation in NSW

The holder of a statutory certificate can notify the Regulator under the provisions of the Mutual Recognition (NSW) Act 1992 for Australian states or territories, or the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition (NSW) Act 1996 for New Zealand for registration in NSW. Qualifications prescribed for statutory functions are not recognised as a certificate.

To notify, go to the Resources Regulator portal. You must pay a fee when submitting your notification and include payment details in the application.

The following fact sheets provide information for mutual recognition and the associated certificate fees.

If you are granted mutual recognition in NSW, you will be issued a practising certificate for five years (or a shorter period if determined by the Regulator). Your practising certificate will be subject to a condition requiring you to participate in the maintenance of competence scheme.

Apply for change, variation or replacement

Vary or revoke condition(s)

Holders of a quarry manager practising certificate can apply to vary or revoke a condition of their certificate via the Resources Regulator portal.

Note: holders of production manager permits cannot vary conditions as the permit is no longer recognised. They should read the above sections for the Three-tiered approach for quarries and the Quarry manager practising certificate for Tier-2 quarries and apply for the appropriate practising certificate.

Replacing lost certificates

If you have lost your practising certificate, you can apply for a replacement by submitting an application through the Resources Regulator portal.

Change of details

If you are the holder of a practising certificate and your personal, contact or work details have changed you need to inform us of the changes in accordance with the conditions of your practising certificate by submitting a change of details notification through the Resources Regulator portal.

Application fees

Fees are payable at the time of lodgement of your application via a link within the schedule of fees for certificates below. Details of payment must be recorded in your application form.

Further information

Further information reagrding practising certificates on our practising certificates page and the certificate condition to maintain competence on our maintenance of competence page.

Our statutory functions guide outlines the statutory positions in NSW mining and petroleum industries that are required to hold a practising certificate.

Additional resources: